Wednesday 12 February 2014

Movie #4: Kai Doh Maru - 2/5 stars


I'm not sure what I was expecting, but there was not enough meat in this sandwich.

Slow, confusing story (and I LIKE samurai stuff.) and the animation was a bit too dainty and gently coloured for my tastes. It was like a wispy, genteel cover of a rock song, but with the occasional bloodstain. The whole film was grey.

To put it briefly, girl is brought up by father as boy, she is attacked by her uncle, this samurai guy saves her, years later she is in love with the samurai guy (nothing happens about it) and is living as a warrior, her cousin who was in love with her when she was supposed to be a boy is a bad guy, lots of people die, story kind of peters out around the time the guy with the pale hair loses his arm. Or at least that was where I lost interest. There's some really creepy kids with magic powers too, I'm not entirely sure where they were going with that, if it went anywhere I missed it.

The soundtrack was pretty good, that redeemed it slightly from the grey confusion that was the whole film (seriously, the only colours were used for blood and fire. It was like Schindler's list only animated and about samurai and there were no little girls in coats) but the couple of fight scenes were passable, I've seen worse, but I've also seen a lot better.

Should anyone watch this movie?: Um, I'm not sure? Maybe? If you like to be bored, this is for you. That's as nice as I can be about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment